Breakfast Burritos; One-Handed Freezer Meals to Thrive Postpartum
First trimester nausea has subsided and your due date is getting closer. It's time to start getting ready.
Your head spins with questions "What should I do to prepare?"; "What will I need?" "How can I get set up for survival?"
Here's the most important thing to prepare: A freezer full of protein-packed, one-handed foods.
You are probably thinking that you should be preparing something for the baby, rather than yourself. Trust us, this is the best thing you can do for your new little one.
A loving mama needs fuel. Making a plan for taking care of yourself is the secret sauce to enjoying motherhood.
Ideally, many of your freezer foods (like smoothies and soups) should contain collagen to encourage wound healing and skin-tightening. Here's your complete guide to meal prep for postpartum.
This recipe for Breakfast Burritos is a favorite. Here's why:
- You're going to be H.U.N.G.R.Y.! These wraps are soooo tasty and satisfying.
- You need foods you can eat with one hand and minimal fuss. Basically, the definition of a burrito.
- You need foods you can prep and freeze in advance - these do the job quite nicely. (Be wary of freezing avocado... the texture of de-thawed avo leaves much to be desired.)
- You need fuel to thrive. Last but not least, these mighty wraps give you wound-healing protein, fats and antioxidants to speed your recovery and boost your energy.
Happy batch cooking, mama.
You were made for this!
Breakfast Burritos with Arugula-Pesto
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp cold water
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt & pepper
- 2 (9-11”) whole wheat tortillas (I use these gluten free wraps)
- 4 Tbsp pesto (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups packed arugula leaves
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt (taste and add more to taste)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Note before you begin: warm tortillas are easier to manage, let sit out at room temp ~30 min before beginning, or give them a quick 5 sec zap in the microwave.
- Make the pesto: In a food processor, combine the all of the pesto ingredients. Pulse until well mixed. Taste and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Scramble the eggs: Whisk together eggs with cold water + a pinch of salt & pepper. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add eggs and stir to scramble. Cook until eggs have set, then remove from heat.
- Assemble: Spread 2 Tbsp of pesto on the center of each tortilla. On each tortilla, spoon 1/2 of the eggs, 1/4 of an avocado* and about 1/4 cup tomatoes in a vertical row in the center, leaving room to fold over bottom and sides.
- Wrap burritos: Fold bottom of tortilla over ~1/4 of the filling, then fold over sides, overlapping them. Option to fold top down as well.
*Avocados don't freeze well, so omit if you're making these for the freezer and add fresh avo when you're ready to re-heat and eat.